This is a tag going around, and since a few people have asked me about my writing process (I find that incredibly flattering to be honest!), here it is!
Anyone interested, feel free to tag yourselves and answer the questions! Do leave a link to your post in the comments!
1. What are you writing?
Right now two short stories. One is a Sci-fi Romance and the other is a Dark Fantasy.
2. How does your work differ from others of its genre?
I honestly don’t know. I’ve been told my writing is like a mix of Sara J. Maas and Lauren Oliver, so you try to figure that one out.
3. Why do you write what you do?
Because I love it!
4. How does your writing process work?
- First I write an outline. Here’s some very nice examples in Word and Excel.
- Then, I write all scenes and chapters chronologically. I need order and sequence
(I’m a Virgo.)
- I love to revise and edit, so one or two days after I’ve written the first draft of a chapter, I’ll go back and revise it.
Yeah, I’m anal like that.
- Then once I’m finished (usually in three months) I let it sit for a few weeks. Then I revise everything again.
- When I’m done, I submit the story to some five or six critique partners, make changes, and when everything is super pretty and perfect, I send it to a developmental editor.
- After that, it goes to a line editor, until finally, we get to the proof reader.
Yeah, I run tight quality controls.
5. Do you have any artistic pursuits besides writing?
I like to draw a lot. Look!
6. What literary character is like you?
I’m not gloating, but Mark Watney from “The Martian” comes pretty close. In case you don’t know, I’m quite humorous, but at the same time, I like fixing things, and learning, and figuring ways to reach my goals. And that’s Mark right there, folks.